Here are 10 great discussion questions for homeschool literature co-op.
10 Great Discussion Questions for Homeschool Literature Co-op
One of my favorite subjects to include in our homeschool high school co-ops or group classes has been literature. Often 7Sister Sabrina has taught (and still teaches) the literature classes. I’ve had the blessing many times also.
One reason teaching literature is so inspiring in a co-op setting is the discussion that can happen. Sometimes we hold general class-wide discussions. Often we will assign a question or set of questions to groups to discuss. Then the groups will present their best answers to the class.
One brilliant way to encourage everyone to participate in the group discussions came from Sabrina. She gives the high schoolers X number of poker chips. Every time a teen contributes to the discussion, they toss a chip into the middle of the table/floor/where ever they are seated. Each teen must use up their poker chips.
One of the questions I’ve been asked is: What are some questions I can have our high school co-op teens discuss?
One answer I always give is: Start with the open-ended questions in 7Sisters’ Literature Study Guides. You can choose a few of those thought-provoking questions to start the discussion process.
Then add some questions of your own. Here are 10 great discussion questions for homeschool literature co-op that we enjoy:
* If you were ____ how would you have handled _____?
* What are some differences between ___’s culture and yours?
* Why do you think _____ reacted like ______?
* Compare the way ____ handled the situations with the way _____ handled it?
* Is there any analogy in this story to something in our world today?
* Which character can you most identify with? Why?
* What would be another way to solve the problem?
* How can you describe ____’s personality? What were his/her *fatal flaws*?
* How did ____ change from the beginning of the story through the end of the story?
* What would be a better ending to this story?
For a great mix of literature genres and topics (along with high school level appropriate writing assignments) have your co-op teens download 7Sisters’ Literature and Composition guides: