Going from homeschool to college: 5 tips for making friends in college.
Homeschool to College: 5 Tips for Making Friends in College
Got a homeschool senior who is planning on college? My homeschool graduates who have gone off to college have shared some tips they used for making friend in college. Here are the top 5:
1. Keep your dorm room open when you are in the room
An open dorm door is an invitation for a visit! Even new students say “hi” when there is an open door.
2. Join 2 groups or organizations
- The value of this is what we call “proximal play”. If you participate in activities together, friendships naturally form over time.
- My kids have participated in choir, orchestra, praise team, outreaches to the poor, slow-food alliances, nature groups, history clubs, missions trips. You don’t have to be passionately interested- you just need activity!
3. Make ritual/routine events
Human beings tend to love ritual. Here are a couple of fun friend-making ideas various kids have used:
- lunch table (Invite students who are sitting alone to join you and/or kids from your dorm floor and classes. Over time, everyone will know to meet at a certain time and certain table. This gives great opportunity for talking and laughing together.)
- bedtime stories (My daughter and her friends periodically had read-alouds at night with favorite old stories like the Chronicles of Narnia. It attracted a good crowd!)
4. Join department excursions
This is a good chance to make friends within your own major. Time and experiences help friendships to form. Go- even if you are not all that interested in the topic!
5. Participate in dorm activities
Dorms often have activities for the students. Some may seem silly, but go. If it is one of those events where people just stand around and chat (like ice cream socials), find someone who is standing alone and introduce yourself. Keep your shoulders back, chin up, and SMILE! Ask about their major and where they are from. Automatic new bud!
Don’t waste your time during senior year. Make sure your homeschooler’s writing skills are college ready. Download 7Sisters Senior Year Writing which covers topics your teen will need:
- Professional Writing Guide
- Chicago-style Research Paper Guide
- College Application Essay Writing Guide
- Creative Chronicle Guide
Check out Academic Success for Homeschoolers in College.