Career Exploration is a necessary subject for homeschool high school. AND it is a great way to invest in character development for your teen.
Career Exploration as Character Development in Homeschool High School
Why spend tens of thousands of dollars on college for your teens if they don’t have a solid direction and sense of calling on their lives? Any should you send them to college if they are not mature in their characters and personalities?
Here’s one thing you can do: Cover these 2 issues with one subject (Career Exploration)
You can intentionally use Career Exploration as character development in homeschool high school.
A comprehensive Career Exploration credit for your homeschool high schooler includes:
- Exploration of seeking God’s will
- Understanding experiences and accomplishments that have already happened in life
- Exploring what other people see in then
- Identifying values (financial, lifestyle, family and success orientation)
- Understanding the role models that God has brought to them
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses
- Exploring various career options
- Capturing all the above in a personal mission statement
- Creating resume and cover letters
So, how do you use Career Exploration as character development in homeschool high school?
As your teens work their way through the Career Exploration journey:
- Ask them what God is showing them in each of the topics (this is a great thing to do during quiet, purposeful moments or one-on-one times while in the car running errands)
- Have them follow 7Sisters Step by Step guide (which is included in the Career Exploration Bundle or alone as a FREEBIE). It includes instructions for writing a research paper about themselves using the information they’ve learned in their course.
- Remind your homeschool high schoolers that God gives them gifts and callings to steward. As they intentionally invest in these, they will need:
- discipline and determination
- balance and buddies
- listening and loving
- submission and spunk
- Have them volunteer in organizations that can use their skills or talents.
- Remind them that as they truly come to know who God has created them to be AND determine to develop themselves, that they will truly accomplish excellent Career Exploration and a solid leap of character development.
For my work as a counselor, homeschool high school advisor, and career coach, I developed our 7 Sisters Career Exploration curriculum. It has been used successfully for years by the 7Sisters teens and in the homeschool community. Download your Career Exploration Bundle for your teens and give them a solid: