By request: Career Exploration Course Description.
Career Exploration Course Description
Career Exploration is an important course for homeschool high schoolers. Whether teens are in ninth grade and just starting to think about their homeschool adventures and life after graduation, or if they are seniors scrambling to figure out what’s next, an encouraging Career Exploration course helps.
For teens who don’t have a clue about what they want to after graduation, Career Exploration helps them:
- Understand themselves better
- Non-judgmentally evaluate their skills, talents and experiences
- Gently experiment with some ideas for careers
For teens who confidently know what they want to do after graduation, Career Exploration helps them:
- Build self-awareness
- Develop skills for next steps towards their career while still in high school
That’s why 7Sisters offers Career Exploration curriculum. I found many years ago, that my homeschool high schoolers did not have access to a Career Exploration geared for Christian teens (and one that did not overwork them). So I created our basic Career Exploration Workbook based on the work I do as a counselor and career coach. Then 7Sister Sabrina added job-prep skills workbooks. That became our Career Exploration Bundle that has helped many teens.
Also, check out this discussion about Career Exploration for non-college-bound teens.
Many homeschool moms like to have two teaching aids for Career Exploration:
- Syllabus for their teen
- Click here for a suggested syllabus for Career Exploration that you can adapt to your needs
- Course description for their records (and for getting out information to co-ops, when this is taught in a group setting)
- BTW- don’t forget 7Sisters gives co-op discounts
We received requests for a course description for Career Exploration. Here is one that you may adjust to your needs.
Course Description for Career Exploration
Text used for course:
Career Exploration Bundle from 7SistersHomeschool
- At the completion of this course, the student will be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of Career Exploration and careers that may be best-fit for him/her. Also, student will be apply this knowledge towards finding an apprenticeship or other introductory job skills.
- Student will use syllabus, workbooks and reading material to fulfill their Career Exploration studies.
- Student will engage in hands-on job-hunting skill development and look for a next-step, such as apprenticeships.
- Step by Step Through Career Exploration (providing a basic checklist of steps for you to follow)
- Lighthearted: Career Exploration Questionnaire (discerning what they have learned from role models)
- Career Exploration Workbook (students will:
- Gain experience with coming to know the will of God
- Describe his/her own self
- Understand what is truly important to him/her
- Note his/her strengths and talents
- Investigate some careers
- Look for an apprenticeship
- Plan his/her high school curriculum to enhance future opportunities
- Successful Experiential Resume Writing (creating a resume that captures worthwhile experiences BEFORE that first paying job)
- Important! Successful Cover Letters (making a good first impression because first impressions are SO important)
- Introductory Interview Skills for Teens (learning practical and empowering job-interview skills)
- Writing Your Personal Mission Statement (SO important: helping teens understand who they are and where they are heading)
- Career Exploration in the Bible (a fun look at David, Joseph, Mary…and yourself!)
- Collected Posts on Career Exploration (encouragement from 7Sisters’ extensive blog post archive)
- Also: Collected Posts on Financial Literacy (learning skills to start managing their money- important part of preparation for adulthood)
Methods used for instruction:
- Workbooks, reading materials
How the course will be graded:
Career Exploration is graded at the discretion of the teacher. You can choose a pass/fail grading system or assign grades. For those assigning grades, you can adapt our grading:
- 50% of grade from completed workbooks
- 25% of grade from class participation and/or apprenticeships
- 25% of grade from attitude (willingness to try new things)
Amount of credit earned:
Career Exploration is an elective credit earned varies by student and teacher goals. See the syllabus above for whether the student wants one-quarter credit, half-credit or full credit.
Include the syllabus for the courses that you will be using a syllabus
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Click the image above to periodically receive real homeschool value in your inbox.