This week on the Homeschool Highschool Podcast: COVID-19 and Homeschooling High School. This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.
COVID-19 and Homeschooling High School
This week Sabrina has encouragement and resources to help you and your family get through the COVID-19 pandemic. She is especially interested in helping out those who are new to homeschooling high school, either after homeschooling middle school OR if you are a “suddenly homeschooler” who had to transition to homeschooling high school due to the quarantines or local delta outbreaks.
Please share this episode with friends and colleagues who will be starting homeschooling high school in the fall.
How do you get started homeschooling high school during COVID-19?
Homeschooling high school can look different ways:
- For those of you who are “unintentionally homeschooling” due to the affects of COVID-19, but are still registered with a local high school. The responsibility for instruction will continue to rest on the school. Your student will simply follow the scheduled online classes provided by the school and follow the assignments given. However, you parents will probably find that you are supervising more of the educational process than before the quarantines.
- If you are homeschooling high school, (whether a homeschool middle school graduate or a new to homeschooling family), you now have something you did not have much of in the past: choice! This might sound intimidating but do not worry. Sabrina will share four practical ways to make these curriculum and format choices!
Here’s a bit of encouragement: Homeschooling high school is just an extension of the parenting you already do. You now get to extend your family’s interests, values, and goals into a truly purposeful education for your teen.
So what are Sabrina’s four steps for homeschooling high school during COVID-19?
First off, there’s not ONE right way to homeschool high school, so do not allow anyone to pressure you that you MUST follow their “philosophy”. For COVID-19 and homeschooling high school, give yourself permission to explore and learn about how your teens learn best. Here are four steps for handling COVID-19 and homeschooling high school.
Step 1: Find out about your state (or international location’s) homeschool laws. Find out the requirements for high school graduation.
The easiest way to do this is check out Homeschool Legal Defense’s website. This is a marvelous organization that, decades ago, helped make homeschooling legal in all states. (We always suggest joining HSLDA. There are lots of worthwhile benefits. (BTW- We are not affiliates, just thankful for the work they do.)
Step 2: Check out your local homeschool community.
There are homeschoolers almost everywhere!
- Check for Facebook groups for your community or state. (Hey, join our 7SistersHomeschool Facebook group and ask ALL the questions you want. There are so many 7th Sisters who want to help. 7th Sisters? Who are they? Well, there are 6 of us in 7SistersHomeschool. The 7th Sisters are all our homeschool friends, including YOU!)
- Google support groups in your area or state.
- Google *umbrella or hybrid schools*, diploma programs or group classes for homeschool high school.
- Sabrina points out that these local homeschool groups are the places that we 7Sisters met! We homeschooled our kids together with these groups. Our a couple of our kids fell in love and got married. As our kids graduated from homeschooling high school, we began publishing the curriculum that we developed for them and the local homeschool group classes at 7SistersHomeschool.com
Step 3: Check out online community for homeschool high schoolers.
There is SO much available online! It can be overwhelming. Invite your teens to help choose.
Some of the online group classes that are taught by our friends include:
- True North Academy (check them out and our friend, Lisa’s podcast Soft Skills 101)
- FundaFunda Academy (check them out and our friend, Meryl’s podcast Homeschooling with Technology)
- Dreaming Spires Home Learning (Language Arts, high performance)
- Music in Our Homeschool (lots of great self-paced Music Appreciation courses with our friend, Gena)
Step 4: Check out curriculum.
Curriculum is fun! Give yourself some time:
- Think about your educational style:
- What do you like? Do you remember high school or college? What did you like or not like?
- What does your teen like or not like as far as classes and subjects they have already done?
- Try to concentrate on things (subjects, interests, talents) your teen loves. Here are some posts that help develop interests and capture them on the homeschool high school transcript.
- Remember there’s not ONE right way to homeschool high school! There is never a mistake. If you choose a curriculum or philosophy that you try out and you or your teen hate it, toss it and get another! It is okay.
- Here’s a post about our informal philosophy…but there’s not ONE right way!
- Here’s a post and a download we developed to help you choose curriculum.
- More ideas for homeschooling during the pandemic.
- For a little fun, play an online logic game for free.
BONUS Step 5: During COVID-19 and homeschooling high school…Pray! As our 7Sister Kym, says: Pray first, last and always. Ask God for guidance and to help your build wonderful relationships with your teens!
Need some help and encouragement in the practical parts of homeschooling high school? Check out 7Sisters Authoritative Guide post series. (We have TONS of posts just waiting to help you right on 7SistersHomeschool.com.)
- Authoritative Guide on How to Homeschool High School
- Authoritative Guide to Transitioning to Homeschool High School (from traditional school)
- Authoritative Guide to Planning Homeschool High School
- Authoritative Guide to the Homeschool High School Transcript
- Authoritative Guide to Electives for Homeschool High School
- Authoritative Guide to Literature for Homeschool High School
- Authoritative Guide to Out-of-the-Box Credits for Special Needs Homeschool High Schoolers
- Authoritative Guide to Career Exploration for Homeschool High School
- Authoritative Guide to Co-ops for Homeschool High School
Join Sabrina for hope and encouragement as you homeschool high school with your teens during these crazy times!
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review*
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Click the image above to periodically receive real homeschool value in your inbox.