Happy roundup: Fun Ideas for Homeschooling through Covid Holiday Season!
Fun Ideas for Homeschooling through Covid Holiday Season
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from your Sisters here are 7SistersHomeschool!
In celebration of the season, we wanted to share a bunch of ideas for homeschooling through the holidays. As you have all noticed, this holiday season doesn’t look quite like other holiday seasons. Covid has caused us to change many plans and rearrange many traditions.
- But as we always say: Motherhood is the necessity of invention. (So we moms get good at creatively improvising special Christmas “traditions” for this year.)
- And also, as we always say: ALL of life is education! So just about any holiday activity can become a learning activity (don’t forget to log those hours)!
So let’s celebrate the holidays, keep on homeschooling and stay safe through Covid with some fun ideas from 7Sisters and our friends!
Here are some fun homeschool ideas for the Covid holiday season!
There are SO many ways to keep homeschooling and the holidays inspirational and festive!
Take a week before Christmas and gear all the subjects and activities toward holiday themes
- We 7Sisters have done the work for you in our Twas the Week Before Christmas Bundle
- Our friend, Christine at This Homeschool House, has lots of other homeschool at Christmas ideas in this post
Christmas movie unit studies
For many of us homeschooling families, watching holiday movies is an important part of the season. The cool thing about Christmas movies is that they are usually fun for the whole family, are definitely not a super-spreader event and can be turned into unit studies!
Catch that?! Many of our favorite Christmas movies make quick, easy but meaningful unit studies. We’ve done the work for you in a few favorites (an they instructions are in freebie posts)!
- Unit Study for It’s a Wonderful Life
- Unit Study for Muppets Christmas Carol
- Unit Study for White Christmas
Have your homeschool high schoolers work on a study guide for a classic Christmas movie or book:
- A Christmas Carol (1984 classic with George C. Scott)
- A Christmas Carol (the classic book by Charles Dickens)
Do a family read-aloud with favorite Christmas stories:
- For homeschool high schoolers, who need to keep lots of paperwork records, add the books to their book list!
- Here’s a post with our favorite Christmas read-alouds
- Our friend, Thaleia at Something 2 Offer has a huge read-aloud Christmas booklist
Homeschool activities for Christmas books and stories
Here’s a post that tells you how to make unit studies from 7Sisters elementary-aged activity guides. Here are our Christmas story activity guides for favorite and classic book for young readers:
- The Christmas Miracle for Jonathan Toomey
- Just in Time for Christmas
- You are Special (not actually Christmas themed, but a freebie!)
Have a readers theatre for your homeschool co-op over Zoom
- Here is a popular script by 7Sister Sabrina: The Christmas Carol Wars
Add to your homeschool high schoolers’ Health credit hours with some social skills and emotional skills for the holidays
- Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Holiday Social Skills for Teens
- Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Handling Difficult People during the Holidays
- Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Teens and Complicated Christmas
- Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Homeschooling, Holidays and Covid
- 5 Ideas for Handling Family during the Holidays (for those who have extended family that is in their “Covid bubble”)
- Not too Christmasy but if you have relatives that have bad manners, your teens might benefit from Candice Duggar’s new course on bullying prevention
Gather family history stories (it counts as American history or culture, you know)
- Our friend, Charlene at Hess Un-academy tells how to do a virtual family reunion
- Turn the stories into a delightful English/Language Arts writing assignment with 7Sisters Family Narrative Writing Guide
Have a blast (well, not literally) with Holiday STEM activities
- Lots of holiday STEM activities in this post
- Check out this post from our friend, Betsy, with STEM-gift ideas for the younger homeschoolers (maybe break into the gift early…)
- Here are lots of freebie ideas from our friend, Sarah at Freedom Homeschooling
Have your homeschool high schoolers log some computer or craft hours by making their own gifts
- Our friend and fellow podcaster, Meryl van der Merve at Funda Funda Academy, tells how to create digital Christmas gifts
Here are some gift ideas from our friends:
Take a little time for your own encouragement, Homeschool 7th Sisters!
- Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Planning Homeschool and Holidays
- Grab our ebook with encouraging and real 7Sisters holiday stories for real moms who have real lives.
- Check out this post from our friend, Meryl, about using tech to stay sane during the holidays
- Don’t forget: If you haven’t had a chance to join our friendly 7Sisters Facebook group, hop over there. All our 7th Sisters share ideas, ask questions and receive encouragement!
- Plus there are oodles of ideas we share on Pinterest and Instagram, so join us there!
We wish all our 7th Sisters and your families a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a healthy, safe and inspired New Year!