Holidays are the perfect time to write a family narrative is during a family holiday!
Holidays are the Perfect Time to Write a Family Narrative
Oh, the holiday season! For many homeschool families during the holidays, there are many family get togethers.
Why not make the most of the holiday family gatherings to gather some favorite family stories? Then have your homeschool high schoolers turn one or two of those stories into a fun writing project. When they are done, they can count their “family narrative” as one of their required papers for Language Arts!
Family Narratives are:
- One of the easy things about a family narrative story is that teens do not need to come up with character or a story line for their story. These stories come practically written already because they are the real events that really happened. (However, some family storytellers can turn into a simple story into a tall tale.
- Teens get to pick a fun story from the crop of stories they will hear at holiday family gatherings. Fun stories are amusing to remember and write down!
- Often, homeschool high schoolers will keep their holiday family narrative stories. These become treasured heirlooms in their own way!
- Anytime a teen captures a story in writing, whether it is fictional or family narrative, they are using their creativity. Creativity is important for educational success.
- Creativity is a necessary life skill. Once homeschooling high schoolers graduate, they will need to be able to communicate in ways that interest:
- Sunday school classes,
- ministries, or
- any other place God puts them.
- Also, teens who are heading for college will be competing for good grades on papers. If they have creativity in their use of thoughts and words, they can produce papers that are interesting to read (as opposed to two hundred other drably-written papers that a professor might read).
The holidays are a perfect time to encourage your teen or tween to write a family narrative. Practicing this kind of creative writing is so much fun that it doesn’t even feel like it’s schoolwork!
Homeschoolers can develop confidence in their creativity skills by having some fun with their writing assignments using 7Sisters creative writing high school curriculum guides with 2 versions of story writing using a favorite family event as the basis of the story:
Introductory Guide to High School Short Story Writing: Family Narrative is an easy, fun downloadable pdf writing guide
Presented in a step-by-step format for the inexperienced writer, homeschoolers achieve success by doing small amounts of writing each day beginning with formats with which they are already familiar (social media). The friendly, conversational tone of the text helps students then learn to thing in creative story form by taking on:
- Character development
- Sparkling conversation
- Creative word order
This one-week writing guide will take your teens step-by-step as they chronicle a memorable family story. The Holiday Family Narrative Guide is user-friendly, self-directed, no busywork and FUN!
Topics covered in this writing guide include:
- character development
- simple storyline development
- how to write dialogue
- mood of a story
Both guides are designed for
Homeschool high schoolers will require little or no guidance to complete this creative writing high school curriculum e-text and gain solid creativity skills.
Your homeschool high schoolers will also learning about a Dickens family! They will enjoy some light-hearted but meaningful Christmas learning experiences with 7Sisters Christmas Carol book and movie guides. Here’s information on making the most of these fun guides.
In the meantime, here’s a post to get you thinking about helpful ways to homeschool through the holidays.