Homeschool High School Mid-Year Checkup
Homeschool high school mid-year checkups come at different times to different families. But they do (or should) come. Here are 10 things to check on:
How are the core academics coming along?
- Just as you had planned?
- Oh my goodness, we’ll never finish?
- We’ve been avoiding it because we HATE the curriculum?
- If your teens HATE the curriculum, it’s time to ditch it! Try something new, detox from the stuffy, overly busy work curriculum. Do something inspirational like 7Sisters’ level-able, no-busywork, fun World Literature!
Next: How are the log sheets for elective courses coming along?
- Need to get out a calendar and do some reconstructing?
- If so, do it now or it will be a nightmare at the end of the year.
Then, how are the extracurriculars coming?
- Are you documenting all the awesome things your homeschool high schooler is doing? Remember: KEEP YOUR PAPER TRAILS!
How are your homeschool high schoolers doing on their service hours?
- Do they need to bulk up?
Ask your teens: How bored are they?
- Do they need to take a week and do something awesome? Some cool project, research, or field trips?
How behind are your teens on their academics or projects?
- If they are behind, download our Scheduling Backwards. (It changed MY life.)
Do you need to take a couple of weeks and just concentrate on their annual research paper?
Are you keeping a Master Portfolio? If so, is it updated?
- You wukk be happier at the end of the year if you update now! If you just save your documents year-to-year, mid-year is a great time to update.
NO Fine Arts yet?
If you find that you were aiming too high or discouraged with the progress, that’s okay.
- Recalibrate your goals and start fresh.
Take a day or two and get re-organized but DON’T fret or get upset! Mid-year checkups are only there to help you and your homeschool stay in shape! You’ll do great. Want more on handling mid-year adjustments? Check out this Homeschool Highschool Podcast episode on how to do a mid-year reboot.