This week on Homeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 133: Got the Wrong Curriculum? This post is running concurrently on Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
Homeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 133: Got the Wrong Curriculum?
Sabrina, Vicki and Kym tackle the uncomfortable topic: What to do when you bought the WRONG curriculum for your teens?
What if you invested in a curriculum that YOU hate? or your homeschool high schoolers hate?
There are a few options, and they are good. Here’s how to handle it when the curriculum is wrong for your teens.
- Remember: There’s not ONE right way to homeschool high school?
- Remember: It’s okay to have options, so forsake your perfectionistic ideas about curriculum and your choices.
- Remember: Some curriculum providers have a money-back guarantee (7SistersHomeschool.com, for one)
- Remember: Are you having a curriculum issue or an attitude issue. (Teens have to learn that they CAN do things they don’t want to do…moms, too! Sometimes teens have never truly hit this issue before. They had never truly hated a school subject before, but high school has required credits, even if teens DON’T like those credits.)
- Remember: Ask yourself, is this ONE subject that your teen doesn’t like or is it ALL subjects? If it is all subjects, it may be other issues besides the specific curriculum? Ask yourself: Is this character, anxiety, health, self-care, wrong publisher?
- Remember: Model flexibility, adaptability, willingness to change, humility for your teens.
Remember: Ask yourself if you have the wrong curriculum, for instance: a college-prep text for a non-college-bound teen? Why waste time, energy and self-image on unnecessary rigor in a textbook. That’s why 7Sisters curriculum is easily adaptable for college bound teens’ needs AND non-college-bound teens’ needs.
Here are concrete ideas:
- You have the freedom to create your own curriculum using Carnegie Unit/logging hours. For example, here’s a post on how to log hours for a credit in history.
- Join a co-op and let another mom teach it.
- Look for other publishers in your local homeschool group’s library or resource center.
- Use 1/2 text for .5 credit and using a second text do the second half of the credit.
- Give away your texts and buy another set. Here’s an HSHSP episode on choosing curriculum.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review* and give us some stars and a comment to help others find us more easily.