This week on Homeschool Highschool Podcast: How to Enjoy Being Mom of a Just-Average Homeschool Teen- Special Replay. This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.
Your teens do not have to go to Harvard to be exactly who God created them to be. Most teens are “just-average” in the ways that get big attention like:
- sports or
However, God has given each teen gifts, so even “just-average” teens have areas where they shine. Join Sabrina and Vicki for celebration of average homeschool teens with their giftedness from God!
It is easy to fall into the trap that our homeschool high schoolers must perform extraordinarily in some area that gets big attention…or full-ride scholarships to college. Sometimes moms find themselves almost embarrassed if their teens do not go to college or do not do anything news-worthy. It is an unfortunate thing in “American mom-ness” that we moms feel that we are failures if our teens are not famous.
So really, do ALL teens need to be famous in the world’s eyes? How about our teens fulfilling the callings that God gave each of them individually- no matter how large or small?
SO let’s debunk this myth of the idea that only those teens who are gifted in academics, sports or arts are gifted. NO, all teens are gifted in God’s eyes! God gives each person a gift of something in order to bless His kingdom. Therefore, since God gave our teens gifts of some sort to bless his Kingdom, we can rejoice that:
Just average teens are not “just average” in God’s eyes!
ALSO, let’s debunk the myth that average is bad. If average is bad, then God goofed up because statistically MOST teens are average. That’s what “average” means, after all.
How can you enjoy being a mom of a just-average teen?
So, if you have a just-average teen in your house, enjoy them! Thank God and hold an attitude of gratitude in your heart for them. (Okay, realistically, no one feels grateful in tough moments. However, OVERALL, remember to be grateful for the teens God gave you.)
Now for some practical tips to help you enjoy being the mom of just-average teens.
Help your teens discover the things in them that are a blessing to the kingdom of God.
- This is where a good Career Exploration curriculum can help them identify gifts. Also they can have some fun with personality tests. Here is a link to some freebie personality tests from Vicki Tillman Coaching.
- Read this important post on helping teens discover their purpose.
Just like you are practicing thankfulness, help your teens learn to have an attitude of gratitude for those gifts.
- Teens are often going through identity crises and feel poorly about themselves. Moms can help them look at their gifts and respect that God placed those gifts in them to bless the kingdom of God. Not for themselves, to make them “great”, but to be a blessing.
- If God gave them gifts, He has a plan for their lives. So they can be thankful and accept the gifts.
- Here are two freebie gratitude journaling-page downloads from Vicki’s coaching website:
Help teens develop those gifts.
Build a meaningful transcript by capturing teens’ learning experiences on in it.
- Include these wonderful learning experiences electives, such as: Career Exploration, Life Skills, Soft Skills, Business Skills, Trade Skills, etc.
- ALSO, Moms: remember all our teens are awesome in God’s eyes…and God is always right!
Join Vicki and Sabrina for a passionate discussion about enjoying being the mom of an average homeschool teen! We love our average teens. God loves them, too.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review*
How to Enjoy Being Mom of a Just-Average Homeschool Teen