This week on HSHSP Ep 160: How to Teach Human Development in Homeschool Co-op. This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.
HSHSP Ep 160: How to Teach Human Development in Homeschool Co-op
Human Development is an important life-preparation course for teens. It teaches them the ways grow and change from womb to old age: physically, cognitively and socially. In this episode, Sabrina, Vicki and Kym share some of the fun activities they have done with their homeschool high school co-op classes.
Why is it important to learn Human Development? (Especially because it is not required for graduation.)
- 9 month old who gains object permanence and remember toys when you hid them under a blanket
- 2 year olds say *NO*
- teens question many things
- old people tell the same stories over and over
Human Development may recorded on the homeschool transcript as (ask your advisor, if you have one, the way your accountability organization wants to have it recorded):
- Social Science (Listen to this episode that explains about Social Sciences.)
Add *SPARKLE* to the homeschool transcript (which can give teens an edge if they are applying for a more competitive college).
Here are some of our favorite Human Development activities we’ve done in our homeschool high school co-ops:
- Interview moms about the teens’ birth stories. Then share those stories with the group.
- Act out the different forms of play and have the rest of the class guess which play-type they were demonstrating.
- Have teens interview each other: What is going well in life?
- Have teens interview and evaluate the moms: What are they doing well?
- Interview their grandparents about their life story.
- Bring in visitors, such as toddlers and watch them play.
- Bring teens to the mall to people watch.
7Sisters has lesson plans that are specifically geared toward homeschool high school co-ops with video clips and more activities. Check them out! Read more about the lesson plans here.
We’ve found that Human Development is a course that helps homeschool high schoolers build perspective-taking skills and a sense of compassion for others, especially those in a different phase of life.
You might also like this episode about teaching Human Development and these posts:
- Suggested Syllabus for Human Development
- Fun and Useful Elective: Combining Human Development and Early Childhood Education
- For more practical planning tips for teaching homeschool co-ops, check out this post.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review* and give us some stars and a comment to help others find us more easily.