My high schooler’s favorite reads of the fall. Occasionally we like to present our favorites. So today, you get input from the 9th grader.
We were reading British authors this fall, so I wondered what his favorite books were:
1) NOT Ivanhoe (sorry, Sir Walter Scott)
2) Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (you never outgrow them)
3) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
4) Winston Churchill’s speeches
5) Some of the British poets- Kipling, Christina Rosetti, William Cowper
6) The Epistles in English Standard Version (I know, the Brits didn’t write it, but it is a lovely British translation.)
7) Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Elliot
8) A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
As you can see, my 9th grader is working through British Literature. He is working for an honors credit using our 7Sisters British Literature course as his base. We love our British Literature course because it is based on real books and meaningful study guides. The study guides are no-busywork format and help homeschool high schoolers develop some good inferential skills. Also, each guide covers only one or two literary analysis themes so that the guides don’t kill the enjoyment of the book.
What were the favorite reads for your children this fall?