This classic book about loyalty, friendship and hard work is a marvelous read aloud for homeschoolers. 7Sisters Literature Activity Guide for Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel is a terrific guide for younger elementary students that teaches developmentally-appropriate phonics and comprehension skills.
Elementary Literature Activity Guide for Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel is designed to teach and/or reinforce necessary skills for students who are in the process of learning to read. Each 7Sisters activity guide helps young readers practice individual skills while maintaining an appreciation of the literature. Good readers love reading!
Synopsis: Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel are looking for work in the ‘modern’ world. He claims they can dig as much as a hundred men in a week. Now, in the town of Popperville, they may have to prove it.
Readability Level: Middle of 3rd grade
7Sisters Elementary Literature Activity Guide for Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton includes:
- Grammar component: consonant blends st and th
- Comprehension skill: Sequencing and Author’s Purpose
- Story Elements: Children identify elements common to all fictional stories.
- Phonics / Grammar: Students practice a skill with a sorting activity using words from the story itself (plus a few others thrown in, for good measure).
- Vocabulary: Young readers learn new words using the “Roll’em & Read’em” activity sheet.
- Comprehension: Children develop their skills using an activity sheet based on the book.
- Research: Students are encouraged to further study topics related to the story.
The Elementary Activity Guides are by Wayne Thorp, a veteran elementary school teacher with over thirty years experience teaching grades one through three. He is the father of three K-12 home schooled children (now grown).
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this book JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)
10-Day No-Questions-Asked Money-Back Guarantee on all 7Sisters EBook curriculum.