The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a story by Eric Carle. 7Sisters Literature Activity Guide for The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a fabulous family read-aloud that guides younger elementary students through developmentally-appropriate phonics and comprehension skills.
Elementary Literature Activity Guide for The Very Hungry Caterpillar is designed to teach and/or reinforce necessary skills for students who are in the process of learning to read. Each 7Sisters activity guide helps young readers practice individual skills while maintaining an appreciation of the literature. Good readers love reading!
Synopsis: On a Sunday morning, a very hungry caterpillar hatches from its egg. It eats its way through the week snacking on all kinds of foods. The next Sunday it builds itself a house; it hatches again — but not as a caterpillar!
Readability Level: 2nd grade NOTE: this guide is designed for early readers who may or may not be able to read all the words in this book. This guide may help them be able to do so.
7Sisters Elementary Literature Activity Guides include:
- Phonics component: Short vowel words
- Comprehension skill: Sequencing, Number words, and Days of the week. Bonus Skill included!
- Story Elements: Children identify elements common to all fictional stories.
- Phonics / Grammar: Students practice a skill with a sorting activity using words from the story itself (plus a few others thrown in, for good measure).
- Vocabulary: Young readers learn new words using the “Roll’em & Read’em” activity sheet.
- Comprehension: Children develop their skills using an activity sheet based on the book.
- Research: Students are encouraged to further study topics related to the story.
The Elementary Activity Guides are by Wayne Thorp, a veteran elementary school teacher with over thirty years experience teaching grades one through three. He is the father of three K-12 home schooled children (now grown).
Download the Complete List of Elementary Literature Activity Guides to help you with your planning!
To visit Amazon and purchase a copy of this book JUST CLICK HERE, or borrow the book from your local library.
(Full disclosure: We are Amazon Associates. Purchasing through this link provides a commission to 7Sisters.)
10-Day No-Questions-Asked Money-Back Guarantee on all 7Sisters EBook curriculum.