This week on Homeschool Highschool Podcast: Career Exploration: What’s Included?- Special Replay. This post is running concurrently on the Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.
What’s Included in Career Exploration?
One of our favorite courses in homeschooling high school is Career Exploration. It is genuinely a valuable life preparation course. Join Vicki and Kym as they share their experiences and what’s included in Career Exploration.
There are all sorts of teens when it comes to career and Career Exploration
There’s not one right way to be a teen or to be ready for future careers.
You know, some kids are born knowing that they want to do when they grow up.
- Take for instance, Vicki’s daughter, who wanted to be a photographer from the time she was a child.
Some kids figure it out while they are in their young teens.
- An example of this is Kym’s husband, who as an adolescent liked to shoot pool at his buddy’s house. However, in order to shoot pool, they had to move the dad’s accounting paperwork off the table. Doug was fascinated by that paperwork and from that time, he wanted to be an accountant.
On the other hand, some teens love everything!
- It’s SOOOO hard to choose just one career! (Kym’s daughters had a list of about twenty chosen careers during their high school years.)
Some careers happen serendipitously.
- For example, Vicki’s oldest son earned his bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. During his last semester, his professors had a talk with him and told him that he should go to graduate school for Philosophy. He now has his PhD in Philosophy and teaches for Stanford University’s online philosophy-based high school.
- BTW- Dr. Tillman authored 7Sisters’ Philosophy in Four Questions and co-authored 7Sisters’ History and Philosophy of the Western World.
Some teens think that they will go into one career…until they try an apprenticeship.
- Once they got into the nitty-gritty of the job, they found there were aspects of that career that turned them off. These teens choose different careers but sometimes kept the original interest as hobbies or avocations. For instance, Kym’s son loves music. During high school he taught children’s music classes for a private school. He loved music but he did not like teaching children. So he did not choose music as a college major.
Other teens do not have a clue about what they want to be until after several semesters of college or a couple of years in the workforce.
- Teens don’t need to know everything about the future when they graduate homeschool high school- but they will be off to a MUCH better start if they have a sense of direction!
Career Exploration is a necessary life preparation course in high school!
It may not be mandatory, but it certainly is important! That’s because most people will need to have some sort of income during their adulthood. Whether teens go into a job or trade, military or college after high school graduation, it is wiser to have some preparation and choice-making out of the way.
What’s included in Career Exploration?
There’s not ONE right way to handle Career Exploration. We are sharing the 7Sisters’ version of Career Exploration curriculum. We developed the curriculum many years ago when Vicki’s oldest and his homeschool friends were in high school. They were all wondering about what to do next with their lives.
In order to address the teens’ needs, Vicki used her training as a counselor and career coach to develop a comprehensive but simple curriculum This is what it includes:
A look at role models who have influenced your teen in positive ways:
- What were their careers?
- What did they like or dislike about their jobs?
For religious teens: a talk about the will of God
- How to look at how God looks at career and career choices.
Defining or discovering interests
- Many teens have lots of interests.
- Others haven’t had time to explore things that might interest them.
- Help them look into interests: discover or develop them.
Respecting and defining skills, gifts or talents
- All teens are gifted, skilled or talented in some kind of way. It is important to explore and develop these.
Understanding their “career values”
Career values are the values (lifestyle factors) that are meaningful to each person. These values include things like:
- Work/life balance
- Income needs
- Work setting comfort
Apprenticeships or internships
These things are what Career Exploration is all about!
Join Vicki and Kym as they share about their work with homeschool high schoolers on the Career Exploration journey.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*
- Please tap *Ratings and Review* and give us some stars and a comment to help others find us more easily.