Homeschool Mom Shares: My Philosophy of Housekeeping!
Homeschool Mom Shares: My Philosophy of Housekeeping
My sister-in-law and her family were forced to live at my house for a few weeks one year while they were waiting for their new house to be ready. She said that she learned so much from me!
She summed up her Vicki-education in this phrase, “How to live with dust bunnies and enjoy it.”
My Philosophy of Housekeeping is that there is a continuum of housekeeping. On one end is:The house is so bad we need to call social services. On the other end is: OCD (think the tv show- Monk).…I live smack in the center.
- My house is not filthy.
- My house is most often cluttered.
- I dust when it bothers me.
Here are the guidelines of housekeeping for my house:
- Ongoing projects should be in zones no bigger than 3ft x 3ft.
- No more than 2 ongoing projects per person, per room.
- Ongoing reading may be placed wherever there is a flat surface.
- No more than 2 ongoing-reading books per person, per room.
- Only 1 laptop computer per chair or couch, unless attended by a human.
- Only 1 musical instrument per chair or couch, unless attended by a human.
- Junk mail goes directly to recycle trash, but bills may be placed in neat stacks by the fruit bowl in the kitchen.
- The cats and their stuff own the house- work around them and allow them to sit on the human’s projects.
- No more than 2 bookshelves per room unless it is the sunroom.
This system would drive a neat-freak crazy, I know. But I’m not a neat-freak, I’m a project-freak, a book-freak, a homeschool-freak. I like my house and the hustle-bustle of it.
Once, the heater-maintenance guy came to do the annual check-upon the furnace. As he wove through the 4 bookshelves on our enclosed sun porch, he snarled, “You gotta get rid of some of them books!”
I thought to myself, “Nah..”
Hey, I’m simply a low-key, real-life person. That’s one reason we 7Sisters started publishing curriculum: We wanted low-key, real-life/meaningful curriculum that teens and moms would think is da bomb!
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Click the image above to periodically receive real homeschool value in your inbox.