This week on The Homeschool Highschool Podcast Episode 52: Career Exploration for Teens Who Love Everything. This post is running concurrently on Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
Career Exploration for Teens Who Love Everything
One of the blessings of homeschooling the high school years is helping our teens explore and discover their gifts and interests. However, sometimes we find out we have an unusual problem. We have a teen that loves everything!
While it is wonderful to have lots of interests and abilities (teens SHOULD try on lots of hats to find lots of interests), at some point they must narrow down their exploration enough to choose a career to develop training and skills in and/or a college major. After all, they can only have time and money for one or two majors in college.
Therefore, how do we help narrow the field for teens who love everything?
It is our blessing to help our teens start to narrow the emphasis.
Teens who have TONS of interests, skills, talents and/or abilities need to concentrate on:
- Enjoying all the things they enjoy
- Begin to look at what might be practical, achievable and interesting for a career (all at the same time…it is do-able).
Instead of graduating from high school with a shrug of the shoulders and a sigh of, “Well, I guess I need to figure out what I want to do with my life now…” your teen should be intentionally exploring areas of interest, strength and talent.
You can help them by helping them to learn to:
- Be seeking God
- That is, they need a lifestyle of prayer so they can begin to recognize God’s leading
- Here is a post on helping teens develop experience with listening to God
- Seek wise counsel from trusted people
- Help them talk to mentors and role models, grandparents and other adults
- They can have conversations where they:
- Listen to the adult’s job experiences
- Ask for the adult’s input on their strengths and talents
- Glean any advice the adult has to offer
- Try out different types of job fields
High school is the perfect time to go exploring! You need a comprehensive high school career exploration curriculum.
One great purchase we suggest is 7Sisters’ Career Exploration Bundle for a comprehensive Career Exploration experience from a Christian perspective.
Here are some ideas for courses that count as Career Exploration.
Join Sabrina, Vicki and Kym for a fun and practical discussion of Career Exploration for teens who love everything!
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Click the image above to periodically receive real homeschool value in your inbox.