We answer the question on The Homeschool Highschool Podcast Episode 27. This post is running concurrently on Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
What are the Social Sciences and how do your teens need them on their homeschool transcripts?
Many colleges are looking for Social Sciences on the transcript. So that makes them important for homeschooling high schoolers. What are they?
Simply put: They are the intersection of Social Studies and Sciences which include courses about people: human behavior, human development, societal behaviors, human interactions. But in order to be considered, these course must present information that has been scientifically researched and verified.
Thus: Social and Science…together.
What are some popular courses?
- Psychology (many colleges are looking specifically for Psychology to be on the homeschool transcript)
- Human Development
- Economics (while this is often considered an option, it is also a core course, so colleges that want .5 credit of Social Science will often want something above and beyond this already-required course)
- Civics (while this is often considered an option, it is also a core course, so colleges that want .5 credit of Social Science will often want something above and beyond this already-required course)
There are other courses that may be included. Each college will differ on what they accept for credit. You can check college websites for their preferences.
A couple of my homeschool high schoolers who were going to college as humanities majors needed a half credit of elective science on their high school transcripts. One counted her Psychology course as elective Science, one counted his Human Development course as elective Science.
Check out this post on how to teach Social Sciences in your homeschool high school.
Join Kym, Sabrina and Vicki for some fun explanations on this week’s Homeschool Highschool Podcast Podcast Episode 27
We also have written blog posts about social sciences:
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO HSHSP VIA COMPUTER
- Follow this link to our iTunes page.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Under our Homeschool Highschool Podcast logo, click on View in iTunes
- This will take you to iTunes and our own podcast page.
- Click SUBSCRIBE.
- Click RATINGS AND REVIEW. (Please take a minute and do this. It helps others find us. Thanks!)
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE VIA iPHONE
- Tap the purple Podcast icon on your phone
- Tap the search icon on the bottom-right of your screen
- In the search bar type: Homeschool Highschool Podcast
- Tap the Homeschool Highschool Podcast icon
- Tap *Subscribe*