Join us for a homeschool case study: High schooler clueless about future.
Homeschool Case Study: High Schooler Clueless about Future
In my many years as academic advisor for our local homeschool umbrella school, I have often noticed that 11th graders panic if you ask them the million-dollar question: “SO, do you have any ideas about God’s plans for you after you graduate?”
Ben (name and identifying details changed) looked downcast when I asked him that question. “I’ve never had any idea about the future. I guess there’s something wrong with me…”
“That’s not true, Ben. You are perfectly normal! Most kids don’t have a clue about what’s coming next! I only asked you that question in order to get your creative thinking and praying going.”
1) Get comfortable praying about it- and waiting, waiting, waiting. (Some of our teens will use 7Sisters interactive Prayer Journals to get a fresh look at prayer.)
2) Get familiar with God’s voice/leading by knowing His words and work in Scripture.
3) Get lots of rich and varied experiences: out-of-the-box courses, unusual field trips, service opportunities, involvement in causes.
4) Get solid experience speaking and writing (helps conquer his fears and opens doors for success).
5) Get inspired by real-life role models: family, friends, church leaders, teachers, missionaries, leaders in communities and causes.
- His Bible study and prayer earned him a Religion credit
- He took a 7Sisters Introduction to Psychology and an art course to explore something completely out of his experience
- He completed a Career Exploration credit with 7Sisters’ Career Exploration Bundle
- He served in a short apprenticeship with his youth pastor, interviewed his pastor and a missionary friend (not that he felt already called to the ministry- he was simply gathering experiences)
- He read 8 books on Christian role models, completed several study guides and composed essays reflecting on his thoughts about each book to level up his Language Arts credit from College Prep to Advanced
- He joined the local homeschool Rhetoric Team (which uses 7Sisters Speech I curriculum)
It was a busy year for him (since he also had core academics) but by the end of the year, he knew himself much better, felt more self-confident, and felt he was able to clarify a couple of possible career choices.
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Click the image above to periodically receive real homeschool value in your inbox.