This week on Homeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 78: What Colleges are Looking for! This post is running concurrently on Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network.
College-bound highschoolers want to know: What are colleges looking for in incoming freshmen? What will help the gain admission to college?
You and your teens need good information about what colleges are looking for when they look at the thousands of applications they receive each year. Your teens also need ideas for skills to learn in highschool that will help them succeed in college.
Join Vicki for an eye-opening interview with Dr. Renae Duncan, Associate Provost of Undergraduate Affairs of Murray State University (Murray, KY) about what colleges are looking for in Incoming Freshmen. Dr. Duncan is the sister of 7Sisters Homeschool Vicki Tillman. (Check out another episode with Dr. Duncan with her advice on choosing types of college degrees and post about Murray State’s homeschool-friendly culture.)
What are large state colleges want to see?
- SAT/ACT s
- Strong coursework
- Volunteer work
- Application essay at most large state universities
What do regional universities look for?
- Strong coursework
- Good SAT/ACT (more flexibility with scores than larger colleges)
- Not as much emphasis on service and extracurriculars
- Often don’t need application essay
What about community colleges?
- What are the benefits?
PLUS! Dr. Duncan gives insider tips for success:
- WORKAROUNDS if your homeschool highschooler doesn’t do well on SAT/ACT type testing
- Insider tips for college success
- Thoughts on college search and choice.
- Small college vs larger state college
- College prep for highschoolers: What skills do they need for college success?
- College prep for highschoolers: The difference between difficult highschool courses and courses that challenge your teen to think.
Don’t miss this episode!
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.
Homeschool Highschool Podcast Ep 78: What Colleges are Looking for