From the author: How to Create Unit Studies with Elementary Literature Activity Guides.
How to Create Unit Studies with Elementary Literature Activity Guides
7Sisters’ Elementary Literature Activity Guides are fun, hands-on reading and language arts tools. They are also great anchors for fun unit studies for your homeschoolers.
The author of 7Sisters’ Elementary Literature Activity Guides is Wayne Thorp. Husband of 7Sister Allison and a career second grade teacher. Wayne created these guides for his students and adapted them for homeschoolers.
Here are Wayne’s ideas for unit studies based on the guides:
The Activity Guides can also be the basis for a unit study by an individual, small, or large group.
Using the guide for A New Coat for Anna:
- Students can learn about bartering and research its history but how bartering is used around the world
- Small, intra-group market could be set-up so that students could barter items themselves
- As a research project, students could explore the conditions in post-WWII Europe to discover why bartering was necessary
Using the guide for Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel:
- Students can learn about engines/mechanical devices
- They can have an introductory Career Exploration of job such heavy equipment operator or mechanical engineer
- Some areas of the country have museums or theme parks about heavy equipment operation, such as Diggerland in West Berlin, NJ
Using the guide for The Whale’s Song:
- Students can learn about whales and other ocean mammals
- They can enjoy the many YouTube videos available about whale communication
- Art can be incorporated with sketches of whales and ocean life
Using both the guides for The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Sunflower House together:
- Students can learn about could learn about life cycles – both plants and animals
- Nature walks are a great addition to life cycle studies, have students carry sketch pads or cell phone cameras to capture what they see
Sunflower House could also be the first book for an author study of prolific writer Eve Bunting.
7Sisters own series with characters that kids absolutely love. These sweet stories reinforce reading, thinking and character-building skills.
- Book and Activity Guide 1: Meet Joey
- Book and Activity Guide 2: Meet Joey’s Teacher
- Book and Activity Guide 3: Meet Joey’s Brother
- Book and Activity Guide 4: Meet Joey’s Uncle
- Book and Activity Guide 5: Meet Dottie
Elementary Activity guides can be used by as large a group of students as you have. As with all homeschooling, the key word is adaptability; and these guides are just that.
Download some Elementary Literature Activity Guides for your homeschool unit studies! Download the Complete List of Elementary Literature Activity Guides to help you with your planning!
The guides are based on classic and favorite stories, as well as excellent non-fiction children’s literature.
7Sisters email subscribers receive periodic practical encouragement, special offers and NO SPAM EVER.